Learning a language: mission possible!
Mastering a foreign language can seem complex and time-consuming, but a little regular practice can reap big rewards. Jade Huffman, Lori Fenneken and Renee Paczkowski, of Global LT, share their tips.
See more features about education in the Autumn 2016 issue of Relocate magazine on our Digital Issues page.
Learn through music: sing in the target language
- Expand vocabulary through practice in context
- Sing along to improve rhythm and intonation
- Sing as a fun pronunciation exercise
- Sing along with native speakers to gain fluency
- Sing karaoke to improve reading skills
- Have fun, improve speaking and enjoy learning
Increase vocabulary with sticky notes
- Start with one word, and label items around you
- Read your notes every time you see them
- Add adjectives. It’s not just a door, it’s a brown door. It’s not just a cat, it’s a black and white cat
- Add new words as you learn. Expand to include sample sentences and examples. Gradually replace simple sentences with complex ones
Learn through reading: read a novel in the new language
- Enjoy the book genres that you love in a different language
- Continue expanding your vocabulary
- Read your new vocabulary in context
- Learn new grammar in context
- Keep yourself active in the language
- Understand the culture of the language on a deeper level
Think in the languageThink about everyday activities – driving, grocery shopping, ordering a takeaway – in the new language. This will help you to:
- Recall basic vocabulary more quickly
- Train your brain to see new words in authentic contexts
- Improve your reading, speaking and listening skills
Learn through movies
- Choose a movie and a character in that movie
- Watch a segment of the movie on repeat
- Stop the movie and say your character’s line before it is said on the film
- Listen to your character speak, and compare yourself
- Repeat and work your way through a whole scene until it becomes natural
Challenge yourselfImprove your reading comprehension by changing your smartphone to the new language a few days each week.
For further information, call Global LT on 1 (888) 645 5881, email info@Global-LT.com, or visit Global-LT.com
For more news and features about language learning in the UK and across the globe, visit our Culture and Language section.
The following sections may also be of interest: International Assignments, Education and Schools
Access hundreds of global services and suppliers in our Online Directory
Subscribe now to our Global Mobility Toolkit
©2017 Re:locate magazine, published by Profile Locations, Spray Hill, Hastings Road, Lamberhurst, Kent TN3 8JB. All rights reserved. This publication (or any part thereof) may not be reproduced in any form without the prior written permission of Profile Locations. Profile Locations accepts no liability for the accuracy of the contents or any opinions expressed herein.